Soft and chewy, delightful marzipan-like cookies. Sweetened with maple syrup and infused with Chai tea spices. Put the kettle on and cozy up for a gluten-free vegan treat!
You should know by now that we wouldn’t post anything that didn’t taste absolutely delicious, but we’re reminding you again now in case you’re skeptical about the “gluten-free vegan” part. Honestly… yum! The sweet almond flavor with its soft and chewy almond flour texture really captures what you like about marzipan, but as a bite-sized cookie!
Almond Chai Spritz Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoons Chai Spice blend (use your favorite pre-mixed blend or make your own with the recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (liquid)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chai Tea Icing
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Chai Spice blend (see below)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons brewed chai tea (extra strong)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon sprinkles (optional, for decoration)
Chai Spice Blend (or use your favorite pre-mixed blend)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, corn starch, Chai Spice blend, and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir thoroughly by hand: maple syrup, coconut oil, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
- Using a cookie press, press the dough onto a cookie tray lined with a silicone baking mat or with parchment paper. If not using a cookie press, spoon teaspoon-sized balls of dough and gently flatten.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to remain on the tray for 4 minutes to further set before transferring them to a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the icing.
- Boil ¼ cup of hot water and steep 1 bag of chai tea for 5-10 minutes. Allow the tea to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and Chai Spice blend.
- Add in 4 teaspoons of the freshly brewed chai tea, the maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir till mixed thoroughly. The icing will be thin.
- Using a small spoon, spread the icing onto the cookies. Top each cookie with sprinkles (optional for decoration) while the icing is still wet.
- Allow the icing to set for an hour to dry completely before stacking the cookies in an air-tight container.
Tips & Tricks:
- The dough works great with a cookie press! If you don’t have a cookie press, use teaspoon-sized scoops of dough and slightly flatten them before baking.
Alternates & Substitutions:
- Note that “Chai Spice blend” is a mix of spices and not the same as instant chai tea latte mix. The instructions offer a blend of spices that we recommend Feel free to substitute in your favorite alternate spices or leave out any you don’t like!
- Also note that “maple syrup” means real maple syrup. One ingredient. Do not use pancake syrup that has ingredients other than real maple syrup.